Math enthusiasts or who want to solve math problems with ease are always looking for this question “which one is better, Vedic Maths or Abacus”. Sometimes they also search for “Vedic Maths vs Abacus” on google search engine. Vedic maths and Abacus have individual math tricks that are interesting and fun when you replace them with regular math and implement them on your own.
So, we are going to answer that for you. Here we will discuss some key differences with the help of some parameters which are mentioned below.
We are going to differentiate between Vedic Maths and Abacus with these following points:-
- Tools Used
|BASIS OF DIFFERENCE||VEDIC MATHS||ABACUS|
Veda is a Sanskrit word which means ‘Knowledge’.
Abacus comes from a Greek word which means something without base and improperly any piece of board.
Vedas, the ancient Sanskrit book of Indians.
Hindu-Arabic numerical system.
Country of Origin
Jagadguru Sri Bharati Krishna Tirthaji.
Year of Invention
There are a lot of debates going on about the year of the invention of Abacus but we assume that 1300 BC is the answer that every historian prefers.
You can calculate in your mind without using pen and paper.
A bamboo frame with beads sliding on wires.
Age(on what age you can start learning)
Anyone from age 8 can learn Vedic maths without any worries.
Children who are between 4-14 years of age can use this trick to solve maths.
Definition of Vedic Maths
- Vedic Mathematics is a collection of Techniques/Sutras to solve mathematical arithmetics in an easy and faster way. It consists of 16 Sutras (Formulae) and 13 sub-sutras (Sub Formulae) which can be used for solving math problems.
- Vedic Mathematics is an ancient mathematical trick which was discovered by Indian mathematician Jagadguru Sri Bharathi Krishna Tirthaji in the period between A.D. 1911 and 1918 and published his findings in Vedic Mathematics Book by Tirthaji Maharaj
- Veda is a Sanskrit word that stands for ‘Knowledge’.
- Vedic Mathematics is all about using fingers and minds to solve the mathematical problem in less time. You can replace a calculator with Vedic Maths because it helps to do the mental calculations on your own. Solving cubes of a number will be less time consuming even if you are not using a calculator.
Definition of Abacus
- The Abacus is a calculating tool which is constructed with a bamboo frame with beads sliding on wires. Some countries like Europe, Russia, China, South Africa are using this tool to teach mathematics in their school. There is nothing mentioned about the origin of Abacus.
- Abacus comes from a Greek word which means something without base and improperly any piece of board. According to historians Abacus was adopted from the Hindu-Arabic numerical system.
Key Difference between Vedic Maths and Abacus
Now We are going to elaborate on the above points for you.
- Vedic mathematics is the heritage in Indian mathematics tradition from ancient times. On the other side Abacus is traditional Math trick from China and Europe
- Vedic math helps an individual to speed up his mental calculation with easy and fun tricks whereas you need a kit to calculate in Abacus.
- For multiplication, addition, subtraction, division, Square root you can definitely use the abacus as a tool but for higher class mathematics you need to depend on Vedic maths. Because Vedic maths has 16 sutras for all kinds of problems in Mathematics. Also, if you want to learn Abacus you should start at a very early age.
- Vedic mathematics has no age criteria to learn it but Abacus has boundaries in terms of age. Example:- If you want to learn calculus then you can’t go for Abacus because it uses 4 tools to teach mathematics (e.g multiplication, addition, subtraction, division). But Vedic Mathematics covers all the topics of modern mathematics. Vedic Mathematicians solve this higher class math problems with Vedic sutras.
- Just for your information if you want to attend any competitive exam where you can not use a calculator then Vedic mathematics will help you to find those big calculations within a few seconds.
Nothing can stop you from learning if you want to learn. So, It’s always up to you what you want to choose to master mathematics. Mathematics is fun, so solving it with new tricks will add happiness in your mind. We recommend you read those above points and choose according to you what’s best for you.
If you like the blog please comment below and also inform us what helps you to do great things in mathematics.